1605 King inscription on stone -- during Weymouth expedition (Davis Cove).
1635 First settlers: 2 families listed as living on St. Georges River. Richard Foxwell, a trader, located on west side at Sequid Point (Pleasant Point). May be considered first Cushing farm, probably located at Burying Point on the Crocker property. Excavation under the direction of Dr. Alerick Falkner in 1997 and 1998 on the Crocker property revealed a foundation and recovered many artifacts regarded as confirming a date of approx. 1635.
1730+ Samuel Waldo assumed control of a cartel of merchants who claimed a million acres including the St. Georges valley. Population 96.
1738 Residents petitioned Waldo for protection from Indian attack.
1740 Richard Falley, great grandfather of Grover Cleveland, was born in Cushing. He was taken prisoner by Indians during French & Indian wars, adopted by the Chief, and taken to Montreal. He later fought at Bunker Hill. Falley home cellar hole is still visible on present day Kalloch property, North Cushing.
1740 Captain Thomas Henderson commanded blockhouse and garrison at Fort Lucy. (vicinity of Theodore, Spear, and Crocker properties).
1741 Benjamin Burton and family (arrived from Wales in 1736) settled in "the lower town."
1741 Waldo had Cushing area and two other areas surveyed into settlers’ lots.
1742 Settlers on both sides of river asked permission to become an incorporated township.
1745 Benjamin Burton commanded a blockhouse in Thomaston, up-river from the bridge.
1750 Petition submitted to Massachusetts Lt. Governor by Capt. Burton and others requesting further protection from the Indians.
1752 Settlers and Indians signed treaty at the Thomaston fort.
1752 Samuel Waldo traveled through Scotland and Ireland recruiting settlers.
1758 Thomas Carney, who served at Burton's Blockhouse, and his wife Nellie lived near the shore on the former Rev. Frank Wheelock's property. A cellar hole, still visible, is documented as having been theirs.
1759 Samuel Waldo died. Penobscot Indians defeated. Forts needed less manpower. People lived along the shore, as the river was the main means of travel. Trails were blazed through the woods. First homes were log cabins on the shore. As land was cleared, people moved further from the shore. Eventually houses were stick-built.
176- Capt. Thomas Henderson’s widow, Mary, has license to sell liquor, probably at a tavern at the former Fort Lucy (presumed to be on Pleasant Point).
1771 100 acres (at Davis Point) purchased from Waldo's heirs by Richard Adams.
1775 First meeting of the Committee of Safety and Correspondence held at the home of Micah Packard (now owned by Barry and Dianne Smith).
1775 Maine sent its first detachment of men to Boston to battle for independence on April 21. The first naval battle fought by the United States occurred at Machias.
1776 Falmouth (now Portland) was shelled and burned by British navy.
1776 Eleazer Gay bought acreage on Burton's Island (now Gay's Island).
1789 Capt. Samuel Hathorn built Hathorn-Olson house, the first stick-framed house on Hathorn's Point.
1789 Cushing Incorporated – included all of St. George peninsula. The first road was approved from Thomaston to Mosqeeter Harbor. Those unable to support themselves were “warned out of town.” First Town meeting held. Each poll tax payer was required to work three days on the Town road. Estates paid one day’s labor for every 75 pounds evaluation. Census figures showed population of 942. Probably the Town was divided into four districts, two on each side of River – perhaps including parts of today’s Warren, Waldoboro and Thomaston.
1792 The Town voted to keep a ferry at Joseph Robinson's (St. George side, probably at the "Narrows," opposite present-day property of Gerald
Smith, Saltwater Farm Lane).
1800 Support of public school refused -- until required by a Massachusetts grand jury.
1807 Voted to build a Meeting House.
1816 Maine seceded from Massachusetts.
1820 Population 600. Maine was admitted to the Union.
1843 “Back Road” (present Route 97) was approved after ten contentious years.
1848 The District Court forced building a bridge to Friendship on Salt Pond Road. Cushing had successfully avoided this for 28 years,
not wanting to spend $300. As a result of stalling, the cost rose to $350.
1850 Population 807. The peak population for the next 130 years. “Back Lots” were being sold and occupied. During the mid to late 1800’s many
roads were built.
1851 “Back Road” (now route 97) was finally built.
1870 Population 704. During the late 1800’s the spruce budworm wiped out the forests and with it a source of income.
1900 Population 604. Canneries began closing.
1930 Population 350. Great Depression times -- the lowest population since 1850.
1980 Population 795. First subdivision or development was begun at Pine Ridge.
1985 Population 820. “Subdivision” on “Back Road” (Rte 97) was begun.
1990+ Population 988. Developments like Newfoundland Drive, Ryan’s Lane, Woody Lane, and Raccoon Road began to occur.
2000 Population 1322. Plans for Developments at Far Meadow, Hornbarn Hill, and Gaunt Neck were announced.
2005 Population 1503-1718 (estimated). Several subdivisions were on the horizon.